(me&my daddy)
This picture was sent to me last week and I haven't been able to get the image out of my head. I now realize as a child you have no idea what being a parent is like, the love, the thoughts, hopes, and how much they cherish every moment. I look at this picture and I know my dad was cherishing this moment with me. I have never doubted my parents love, I have always known that no matter how bad I mess it up, they will always be there arms open. It was hard to decide but here are 3 moments that help define my relationship with my father through my eyes.
1. Saturday morning, I am probably 8-10? No one else is up yet except dad, who is in the kitchen making noise. I walk in, he sweeps me up on the kitchen counter. He calls me chef Meg, he is making pancakes for us...just because that's him and his giving love. I ask to stir, he hands me the spoon and says "you got it, just don't lick the batter"...of course I lick the batter as soon as he turns. He looks back with a grin and he & I both know he knows I'm licking the batter. We continue cooking chatting about 8yr old life, sleep still in my eyes and hair a mess. Nothing else in the world just us on a Saturday Morning.
2. With high school came rebellion, deciding what path I wanted to take. I can't imagine how hard this was for my parents, one day truth comes out. Things come to light I had tried to hide, something every parent fears. I remember the moment perfectly..my parents call me out of my room, I walk into the den just waiting for the confrontation, not sure if I'm going to be defiant, lie, or be honest. My Father. My father hugs me, looks me in the eye with a broken heart and says "meg, you are getting older, one day your going to fly out into the real world, and with the choices you are making today I'm so afraid you aren't going to fly like you could. I want this to stop because I love you so much."
That moment completely shaped who I am today. He could have crushed me in that moment, he could have ranted, he could have grounded me but he didn't. He loved me. He made me realize choices I make effect the future but even if I make all the wrong choices he still loves me.
3. Everyone is lining up to get the finger foods, the wedding cake is being served, people talking. No one is paying much attention to the father & daughter dance. Which takes some of the pressure off of me trying to remember how to dance since my father is natural at the Waltz. I'm focusing on my feet 1,2..3.1,2...when my dad says "Meghan, you look beautiful. I'm going to miss you so much, it has been so much fun watching you grow into a beautiful woman in the past 20 years." Everyone else had faded from the room, it was just me & my daddy. In that moment I realized although I was going to go live my fairy tale with my most wonderful prince I was leaving the prince that held my heart up until then. I admit I shed a tear.
Every moment has been unwavering, stronger than I could imagine, lion protecting (lol) kind of love. Which brings me to the pictures below.
I have had the perfect example of the kind of father I want my daughter to have. My standards were VERY high, and I have chosen right. I can't wait to see all the memories Joslin Elaina & Kevin will make together.
Mom post coming up.
Girls remember the guy you are dating, could one day be the father to your daughter. You may like the "bad boy", but will your daughter?


This was an absolutely beautiful post! The short amount of time I got to be "apart" of your family I knew more than anything that your daddy loved both you and Emily so very much!
ReplyDelete